Director of Communications & Governmental Affairs
Salary Range: Salary: $92,300 up to $118,300 annually, dependent upon benefits selected.
Compensation will be based upon the level of experience.
Bargaining Unit: None
Position Status: Exempt, Full Time
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Accounting, Public Policy, Political Science or a related field, or 5 years government experience or an equivalent. Knowledge of Legislative issues and/or experience working with lobbyists preferred or an equivalent combination of education, certification, training, and/or experience.
License/Certifications: Must possess and be able to maintain valid Florida Driver’s License.
Closing Date: February 16, 2018
Under the direction of the City Manager, this is a responsible management and administrative position directing and managing intergovernmental affairs, to include legislative, municipal and departmental services citywide, responsible for the oversight of assigned departments and offices, and leading the City in its legislative and community efforts. Acting as the City’s Public Information Officer (PIO), this position is responsible for maintaining a quality reputation for the City by communicating information regarding all aspects of City
government to a wide range of audiences including organizations, associations, employees, news media, industry
representatives, and other units of government. The position will work with a variety of City functions to
communicate the City’s strategic plan and policies, provide management of the news portion of the City’s website,
social media presence and other communication related items.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties
not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position as determined by the City Manager.
• Consults with the City Manager and senior management, and participates in the formulation of policy decisions regarding intergovernmental services, municipalities, outside agencies and departments within the City
2/3/2018 City of Marco Island, FL : Job Opportunities : Director of Communications & Governmental Affairs http://www.cityofmarcoisland.com/index.aspx?recordid=271&page=149 2/4
• This person is an ombudsman in communicating and dealing with citizens, multiple agencies, boards, and
municipalities both locally, statewide, and nationally
• Provides and assists in representation of City of Marco Island community wide, and including local, state and federal interests
• Serves as a liaison between members of the news media, business/professional/civic groups, general public and city governmental officials in an effort to distribute information concerning activities and operations of the city
• Researches and coordinates local, state and federal legislative issues under the general guidance of the City Manager. Responsible for leading the Marco Island legislative issues team
• Oversees the development of long term strategic plans and annual operating performance plans within the assigned departments and offices, to establish outcome, goals and define clear program strategies for measuring performance of departments
• Plans, develops, organizes, implements and directs preparation of administrative reports and special projects as assigned, including presentations and speeches
• Gathers and analyzes data in preparation of grant applications, contracts, permits and press releases; and writes grants, tracks grant application City-wide, preparing summary reports
• Conducts research, analyzes data, develops recommendations and observations, and submits written and oral reports to the City Manager and the City Council on a variety of special assignments
• Performs Cost / Benefit Analyses and develops business, marketing, and strategic plans and other administrative reviews of assigned City departments, programs and functions
• Oversees the assigned departments and offices in preparation of business plans and performance objectives aligned with the strategic plan and with clear performance measures as well as performance benchmarks
• Meets regularly with the various department directors/managers under his/her supervision to discuss status of projects, programs, plans, resolve problems and related issues affecting the City
• Establishes and maintains effective and positive relationships with the community. Functions as a citizens’ ombudsman for issues resolution
• Attends advisory board meetings that pertain to assigned projects or departments 2/3/2018 City of Marco Island, FL : Job Opportunities : Director of Communications & Governmental Affairs
• Serves as liaison with the various individuals and user groups to provide information and direction on projects
• Coordinates the development of selected public information materials and programs such as PowerPoint presentations and speech preparation talking points. Travels throughout the City to conduct presentations to audiences of all ages for the purpose of providing education on the City
In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications listed below, an individual must be able to perform each of the established essential functions in order to perform this job successfully.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of governmental law and documents such as the City Charter, Code of Ordinances, and related policies and procedures
• Knowledge of statues, rules, regulations, principles and practices and procedures related to government and City.
• Knowledge of municipal government organization functions and activities, including election laws and procedures and records management requirements
• Knowledge, skill and application of social media platforms, particularly in using social media as a crisis communications platform
• Skill in adapting to a changing work environment, competing demands and ability to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events
• Advanced ability to operate a computer using Microsoft Office products (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel) and applicable financial and organizational software
• Ability to promote and represent the City to the public in a courteous, helpful, diplomatic and professional manner
• Ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
• Ability to provide exceptional internal and external customer service
• Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
• Ability to deal effectively with the public
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Accounting, Public Policy, Political Science or a related field, or 5 years government experience or an equivalent. Knowledge of Legislative issues and/or experience working with lobbyists preferred or an equivalent combination of education, certification, training, and/or experience. May be required to have or obtain formal industry certification(s) based on area of assignment.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION AND PROCESS SUMMARY:
2/3/2018 City of Marco Island, FL : Job Opportunities : Director of Communications & Governmental Affairs http://www.cityofmarcoisland.com/index.aspx?recordid=271&page=149 4/4
More Jobs »
Candidate is subject to interview(s), medical testing (including drug screening), and a comprehensive background investigation.
Please complete the following application. Download the application to your computer, complete the application, sign and return to City of Marco Island Human Resources.
Email completed application and resume to: email@example.com
Or mail to:
City of Marco Island
Attention: Leslie Sanford
50 Bald Eagle Drive
Marco Island, Florida 34145-5011
Notice: Preference shall be given to eligible current city employees. All vacancies are open until filled unless otherwise specified. The City of Marco Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, veterans,
and disabled persons are encouraged to apply. Please contact the Human Resources Department if you have any questions. Drug and Smoke-Free Workplace.